Transitional Housing Worker
Application deadline: May 2nd, 2014
Start date: May 12th, 2014
Salary and Hours: $15.50/hr, 25 hours a week for one year (52 weeks)
Please Note: This position is supported by Toronto Social Services Investing In Neighbourhoods Program. To qualify for this position, candidates must meet the following criteria: Be in receipt of Ontario Works Assistance.
The FCJ Refugee Centre can only consider applicants that meet all of the above criteria. If you are uncertain of your eligibility, please contact your Case Worker from the City of Toronto, Employment & Social Services.
FCJ Refugee Centre strives to meet the diverse needs of uprooted people in communities across Ontario. FCJ Refugee Centre attempts to address the problems of poverty and lack of resources, isolation, and discrimination through community-based programs which promote self-help, personal growth, community economic development and social justice.
The FCJ Refugee Centre has a mandate to:
§ Provide shelter and basic life necessities such as food, clothing and transportation for women and children.
§ Provide to refugees and other uprooted people education, counselling and support services, including translation interpretation services, referrals to legal assistance, employment training, programs on Canadian culture and life, and other educational workshops.
§ Assist refugees and other uprooted people to adjust to Canadian society.
· Provide settlement services including crisis intervention, counseling and outreach supports to refugee women staying in the transitional houses and their children.
· Complete assessment to identify settlement goals that will assist the residents to integrate into the community.
· Provide coordinated case management with internal and external stakeholders, including liaison with Intake and Case Management Worker to include appropriate referrals, advocacy and ensure continued support and stabilization.
· Coordinate and facilitate tenant meetings; support groups; social, recreational, and educational programming events.
· Supervise and train volunteers and student placements.
· Represent the organization at community activities, networks and coalitions.
· Administer all aspects of residency in the transitional housing properties, including: selection and orientation of new tenants, tenancy agreements, rent collection, rent calculation, conflict management and other requirements.
· Monitor management of the three properties through weekly visits of residents and visits with residents, including monitoring repairs and necessary orders.
· Experience in non-profits, working with migrant populations
· Excellent organizational and time-management skills
· Self-starter with the ability to work in a cross-functional team
· Ability to accomplish goals with minimal supervision
· Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills
· Ability to work with confidential information
· Experience working from an Anti-Racist, Anti-Oppression framework
· Preference given to those with counselling experience
· Must have a valid G driver’s license.
· Physical effort: Some small repairs and minimal lifting required
· Second language an asset
As an employer who values diversity in its workforce, we encourage candidates to self-identify as members of the following designated groups: women, visible minority, aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and résumé by email only (in word format) by May 2nd at 5:00 to:
FCJ Refugee Centre
208 Oakwood Avenue
Toronto, ON M6E 2V4
We thank all applicants; however, due to the volume of applicants, only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.