Immigration Help And Refugee Protection
We welcome anyone asking for support regarding immigration issues, offering timely and holistic case management and service provision for precarious migrant and refugee populations.
The programs we are providing to vulnerable populations are possible thanks to the support we receive from:
Claiming refugee protection from inside Canada
Check our guides and documents about the Immigration and Refugee System, and the Refugee Hearing and Refugee Appeal processes, available in several languages.
How to apply for Legal Aid
Every time you apply, you will speak to two different agents. The first agent will ask you more basic questions and set up your Legal Aid account. At the end of the call, they will give you a client number. Write the number down. They will then transfer you to a second agent who may ask you more personal questions related to the reason for your refugee claim and your finances.
You can see more details in this document. See also the Questionnaire Guide with the information you will need during the interview. And to read the complete guide on how to apply for legal aid, please see this document.
We also invite you to listen to this information at our Borderless Voices Podcast.
Humanitarian and Compassionate Application
People who would not normally be eligible to become permanent residents of Canada may be able to apply on humanitarian and compassionate grounds.
See our guide to applying for permanent residence in Canada on humanitarian and compassionate grounds.
In this other document you can also consult the list of the most common supporting documents that applicants for this type of application can include in their case.
This informative session (video) describes the steps to follow during a work permit application:
People in urgent need
In solidarity with precarious migrants, we keep serving people who are in urgent need, offering also as many services as possible by phone, e-mail, or any other electronic means available to us.
For any inquiries on any issue or situation related to immigration and refugee process, as well as about all our services please either contact us at the emails below or call 416-469-9754 and dial the extensions in the information below.
- Loly Rico, Executive Director: Ext. 224.
- Diana Gallego, Senior Director: Ext. 225.
- Tsering Lhamo, Associate Director – Settlement: Ext 229.
- If you need general support, you can contact us through WhatsApp: 437-217-3786
- If you need support related to human trafficking and migrant workers, you can contact us also through WhatsAppp: 647-971-2153
If you need information about the refuge process in Canada or any other resource that is helpful please navigate our website and feel free to use any resource you think might be helpful:
- All documents, research and special reports
- Workshops & Webinars
- Overview of the refugee process in Canada
- How to fill out the Bases of Claim document
- Process Chart
- Navigating the Refugee System
Step by step
We help refugee claimants within Canada with every step of the refugee determination process:
- Refugee process Orientation
- Legal Aid application
- Work permit
- BOC: filling out Basis of Claim Form
- Refugee Hearing Preparation
- Referral to a Lawyer
- Support in the refugee appeal process
- Judicial review process
- Pre-removal Risk Assessment, PRRA
Support through other immigration processes
- Humanitarian and Compassionate Consideration Process: Guide for H&C application. To download the guide click here
- Conditional Permanent Residence
- Permanent Residence application
- Sponsorship Applications
- Invitation Letter
- Family reunification orientation
- Criminal Justice Support
- Extension Interim Federal Health
- Obtaining identification
- Passport application
- Renew Permanent Residence Card
- Translation of Documents
- Travel Document
- Visa extension
- Work permit
Information gathering in other countries
This area includes information-gathering, delegations to other countries, collaborations with local NGOs. All activities are geared toward greater access and equity.